Skip to main content

Crazy Ideas

One of my physics teachers, once said - about mathematics - "Maths is a very illogical subject. Its all theory, and doesn't make much real sense. Its only useful as a tool for solving physics etc."

And I couldn't agree more. I was good at physics and sucked at maths.

I mean seriously.

In all of maths whenever 1 has been raised to any power, big or small, positive or negative, whole number or fraction, it has always consistently and diligently returned 1 as the answer. And yet somehow, 1 raised to power infinity is not defined. Imaginary numbers - some hyperenthusiastic maths guy probably realised, "root of negative 1 doesn't exist eh?...hmm ah well, i'll pretend it does and write a shitload of theory on it." Then coming to geometry- "2 imaginary lines may have a real point of intersection." - I mean seriously, are you kiddin me? Aren't the lines imaginary?

And then I realised that the flaw lies in our perception of logic.

Nothing really makes sense. Nothing is truly explained.
The term logic or making sense as we know it is flawed. All it really refers to is familiarity.

Our understanding of the world is nothing but observation of patterns, development of patterns on the behaviour of those patterns, and then the application of those patterns.

So when I find mechanics easy or logical, its really just that I've observed the subject around me so much, that I intuitively find the various outcomes to be in tune with the knowledge that i've already accumulated, and so, they seem to be obvious.

The whole of science is driven by essentially one basic question. The cause seeking question. In itself, this question even defines the concept of time.

Think of ANY phenomenon in the world, and keep asking the question why it happens - why different aspects of it are occuring, what is the cause of it, and every single one of them will finally boil down to a single unquestionable fact, which will essentially be just an observation. An observation of pattern - behaviour. And you will be unable to answer the question as to what is the cause of that behaviour.

Incase your mind says that its really obvious/logical, and just the conversion of that into explicable words is what you're lacking, you should explain to your mind that there is no such thing as "just obvious". Cuz if there were, we wouldn't be applauding Einstein for the theory of relativity. After all, it exists in nature. And its got so much to do with the behaviour of light- an entity we're so familiar with.

So if in essence, everything stems from a basic unexplained observation, we aren't really explaining anything at all. We're just discussing the interconnectedness or relations between the results of various unexplained phenomenons.

Magic is anything that lies beyond our comprehension.
Thus Science, truly is just the observation and application of magic.

Rationality and logic exists, only as maths.

On a personal level, I think the world is not real.

It just doesn't make sense.

Well dreams, they feel real while we're in them, right? It's only when we wake up that we realize how things are actually strange. Let me ask you a question, you never really remember the beginning of a dream do you? You always wind up right in the middle of what's going on.[Inception]

Noone remembers the start of life or even the earth - isn't it?

Comments

A said…
"you never really remember the beginning of a dream do you?"

Is this from Inception?

Well, I think it's possible to remember the beginning of your dream. Like how your dream starts. But maybe it's difficult to determine how you reached in that setting!
Do I make sense? :\
Sam said…
Its from inception. side mein [1] is for the source.

and yea, I get what you mean! :)

altho kinda random post from me don't you think?
In answer to your question, yes. Very.

Good one, though. At least those parts that made some kind of sense to me. =P
psychebubbles said…
Dude, if you are strangled amidst Maths & Physics, you're stuck in d wrong classroom.. Try ummm philosophy! U'll do amazing stuff in that! :)

And well, you make very valid arguments! :)

Im with you! :)
Cheers!
Sam said…
Thanks both of u!

Always nice to read comments, esp on posts like these where I expect few. :)

Also, dude, right. I need to do philosophy instead. :P
fivefeetsmall said…
i love math!
and i don't like mechanics :-s
i kinda dont get it... :-s
Sam said…
@ Mugdha: are you talkin bout engineering maths? :P
fivefeetsmall said…
yes!
and engineering mechanics :-s
my exam started on the 30th too!
co-incidentally it was math! :P
blog.sahil.me said…
Aha, interesting stuff =)
Sam said…
Well, its actually more I used to be like maths is random, and physics makes sense. so its kinda a justification of how makes sense is flawed.

I mean do u understand why 1 to the power infinity is undefined? I doubt I ever will. :P
Sam said…
@Sahi: You are super-awesome bro.
blog.sahil.me said…
^ What're you talking about? :S
Vishesh said…
“You conceive of my external mathematical reality as part of he external physical world. What I am about to tell you is going to come as a surprise, then. For me, it’s just he opposite: external physical reality is a part of archaic mathematical reality.”[where I read this]
Pretty late, I see this, but an awesome insight you seem to have made. So many naive people may have spent wasted lives never realizing something so quintessential. :D

Also, [in case you're still interested] understanding why one to the power of infinity is not one, is pretty easy. Why you do not get it obviously, is because you are messing up concepts by using the words, one, and infinity, so loosely.
Tending to one - essential to say so, because one is a number. One specific point. Tending to one is an abstract concept of referring to some value that kind of approaches one. And tending to infinity. Infinity is not a number. And the exponential function is not defined for non-numbers, as talked of here. Tending to infinity is some abstract value that is just un-fixably large. That value, gives different values, for different behaviours of approaching one, and approaching infinity.
Did that help? Or did you not care? :)
P.S.: If we meet again, remind to talk to you about this! :D
Sam said…
Hey, I'm not sure, but it seems like this last comment of yours had ended up in the spam filter.

Many years, later I guess I understand it.

Btw, where are you now?

Popular posts from this blog

Clouds.

Hello there. Its been quite sometime now since a proper post. I wonder if I even remember how its done. Now that would be tough if only there was anything to it right? Technically, "asdjhqowie" would qualify as a post. Not an interesting one, or even comprehensible for that matter.. or any adjective other than rubbish, crap or WTF?!? (which isn't really an adjective, but it still describes stuff I suppose, so lets ignore that for now.) [**pssst - I conveniently left out the implications the word 'proper' may have had.] But well, whatever. So anyway, I just gave my IIT paper yesterday. Before the 1st paper, I was awesomely relaxed, cool and positive, which was a bit mad at a level, cuz I'd so totally ruined my life for Mr.Judgement Day here, and the least I could do was feel apprehensive and tensed, and NO, it wasn't the confidence in my preparation. It was more of that strange peace n disattachment I seem to feel when strong emotions are required. And t

Welcome Address. No, really.

Welcome to my fairly-long-pendin formal welcome address. Basically, I had planned to do a nice Venez-à-Delhi formal welcome address, 1st post after the End Kota series(which reminds me, I think all u people's countin must suck cuz no one seems to have brought up the fact that there's no end kota part 2 post there. OR you're convinced that on the planet I hail from, the no. ''2'' rhymed way too much with "foo", n since that isn't a real word, they decided to get rid of 2 too. Plus two words soundin like too/two were way too many twos, right? I wonder if you realise that does not make any sense!? Why would u think stuff like that?) But then (go scroll back up to see the stuff before the bracket)really important n strange stuff happened( the hair cut , and JEE ), and the welcome address got left behind somewhere. Nevertheless, here I am with my welcome address. So Delhi, I suppose was over-the-top excited bout me returning, cuz its welcome was to

College

So I've spent bout 3 weeks in this college now, and I figure its bout time for me to write a little bout it. I'm gonna be the sadistic mock that I am in general, and describe characters by writing sentences that those particular people are likely to say (not). Please do understand that I exaggerate for fun. Director : Hello all you lovely people. I know I smile a lot and sound really polite and nice, but please do not miss the obvious sarcasm dripping from my voice. I also love to remind you that if there's something that I want you to do, and you don't wanna do it, then you still have the option of withdrawing your admission from this college. I will do all in my power to help you get back a fair sum of your fees money. In short, all you awesome people, I hate humanity. 100 yr old maths teacher who's got the-most-freakishly-impressive-CV : *mumble mumble in my mouth* Physics mechanics teacher : I really wanna go home. :'( I mug up stuff and puke it here. 2nd y