Skip to main content

while (!failure) failure>success.

If you have integrity, nothing else matters.
If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

You know, at the end of the day, you really learn a lot more from failure than you do from success. Its simple. When you find a method that doesn't work, you start searching for one that does.

On the way you gain an understanding of how things work. You observe your actions and their consequences - disattached from both, and with a lot more objectivity. You understand that the failure won't define you. You learn to respect both success as well as failure, and you learn to fear neither.

If you go deeper, you might even realise that success is, but a word. That when you weren't looking deep enough, it was something big, but when you did, you realised that (in the general sense of the word as used by the society) its just society appreciation.

So while to one person, success maybe appreciation from the society, to another, it could just be a sense of satisfaction in what they do.
And I'm not saying it as a justification for my own share of failures. (which are ample)
Its more because somehow I've seen so many people who are essentially non-failures, but vey often, because of that, behaviourally challenged.

When they come in contact with "success" and not enough failure, they basically become aware of the fact that they did something right. I mean come on, they're getting appreciation! They must have.

They start sticking to a set of actions - those leading to success - without much regard to else. Without questioning much, without understanding or observing much. They become trained.

Eventually, it becomes a game of judgement. They no longer define themselves by much other than the society's assessment of them, and they dole out that same judgement to the individuals in that society.

At this point, they might adapt either of the following two behaviours.

1. Either they start to believe that they're infallible. It leads to egotism, selfishness, a genuine belief that they're a better product than the rest, that the rest are dying to be in their place - possibly a superiority complex. ie - they act like a stupid jerk.

I know a guy. He loves himself so much, its amazing.

2. Or they find some outside source to credit for their success and develop strong fears of failure.

I once knew this lady, professionally very successful, but lunatically God fearing/worshiping. It was almost as if she feared that if she didn't keep it right, her pyramid of cards would fall. She had such defined boundaries of whats right and wrong and it so was constricting. To her and those around her.

Either way, point is, that they believe there's only one correct way of living life.

There are infinite.

Taste failure before success once. You'll handle it better, plus it'll be sweeter.

PS- Its ironic how my end term exams start tomorrow! :P

Comments

blog.sahil.me said…
I like the last line :P

On a more serious note, this is pretty true. Usually when we do something right, we don't put much thought into what we did (we're preoccupied with the after-effects - whether satisfaction or adulation); it's only when we do something wrong do we stop by and analyze.
Sam said…
cuz i kno you get exactly what i'm sayin. :P
blog.sahil.me said…
I think you posted your comment on the wrong post?
Sam said…
didn.

Btw, do u get special discounts from ntu on your laptops and all?
blog.sahil.me said…
http://www3.ntu.edu.sg/cits2/computerdeals/NB_ShowAll_10.asp

Dunno what the implications of the "buyer is strictly not allowed to resell" part are though =P
Disguise said…
This is actually...umm, true?
Sam said…
is that a question or a statement?

Popular posts from this blog

Clouds.

Hello there. Its been quite sometime now since a proper post. I wonder if I even remember how its done. Now that would be tough if only there was anything to it right? Technically, "asdjhqowie" would qualify as a post. Not an interesting one, or even comprehensible for that matter.. or any adjective other than rubbish, crap or WTF?!? (which isn't really an adjective, but it still describes stuff I suppose, so lets ignore that for now.) [**pssst - I conveniently left out the implications the word 'proper' may have had.] But well, whatever. So anyway, I just gave my IIT paper yesterday. Before the 1st paper, I was awesomely relaxed, cool and positive, which was a bit mad at a level, cuz I'd so totally ruined my life for Mr.Judgement Day here, and the least I could do was feel apprehensive and tensed, and NO, it wasn't the confidence in my preparation. It was more of that strange peace n disattachment I seem to feel when strong emotions are required. And t

Welcome Address. No, really.

Welcome to my fairly-long-pendin formal welcome address. Basically, I had planned to do a nice Venez-à-Delhi formal welcome address, 1st post after the End Kota series(which reminds me, I think all u people's countin must suck cuz no one seems to have brought up the fact that there's no end kota part 2 post there. OR you're convinced that on the planet I hail from, the no. ''2'' rhymed way too much with "foo", n since that isn't a real word, they decided to get rid of 2 too. Plus two words soundin like too/two were way too many twos, right? I wonder if you realise that does not make any sense!? Why would u think stuff like that?) But then (go scroll back up to see the stuff before the bracket)really important n strange stuff happened( the hair cut , and JEE ), and the welcome address got left behind somewhere. Nevertheless, here I am with my welcome address. So Delhi, I suppose was over-the-top excited bout me returning, cuz its welcome was to

College

So I've spent bout 3 weeks in this college now, and I figure its bout time for me to write a little bout it. I'm gonna be the sadistic mock that I am in general, and describe characters by writing sentences that those particular people are likely to say (not). Please do understand that I exaggerate for fun. Director : Hello all you lovely people. I know I smile a lot and sound really polite and nice, but please do not miss the obvious sarcasm dripping from my voice. I also love to remind you that if there's something that I want you to do, and you don't wanna do it, then you still have the option of withdrawing your admission from this college. I will do all in my power to help you get back a fair sum of your fees money. In short, all you awesome people, I hate humanity. 100 yr old maths teacher who's got the-most-freakishly-impressive-CV : *mumble mumble in my mouth* Physics mechanics teacher : I really wanna go home. :'( I mug up stuff and puke it here. 2nd y